Elyssa’s Mission® is a 501© (3) non-profit organization that provides resources to help prevent teen suicide. Elyssa’s Mission provides hands-on support to area public and private schools and community organizations to educate students, staff and parents on how to recognize and assist those teens most at-risk. Elyssa’s Mission funds and implements the evidence-based SOS Signs of Suicide Prevention Program in over 200 middle and high schools in Illinois.
Elyssa’s Mission is affiliated with Mindwise Innovations, the premier provider of mental health screening programs.
Elyssa’s Mission seeks a full or part-time employee who can support suicide prevention education in middle/high schools and communities (all ages) in the Chicagoland area and surrounding suburbs. The educator will assist with grant writing and fundraising efforts. We are looking for a high-energy, self- starting, creative individual who can work independently and in a team setting. This individual must be willing to travel to schools throughout the Chicagoland area.
Suicide Prevention Education:
He/she will continue the ongoing relationships with key stakeholders and develop new partnerships. This individual will train schools (staff, students and parents) in suicide prevention education and will be able to provide hands-on support to junior high and high schools for the implementation of the Signs of Suicide (SOS) program.
He/she will be responsible for collaborating on grant writing proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations and will persuasively communicate the organization’s mission. This individual will share responsibility in assembling and submitting grant requests, establishing and maintaining relationships with foundations’ contacts, conducting prospect research and maintaining a calendar of submissions and other deadlines. In addition, this individual will assist with fundraising events.
The job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Implement the SOS program at designated schools (planning, training, teaching and follow-up on data collection)
- Train school staff and parents on suicide prevention education
- Maintain relationships with selected schools that are currently using the SOS Program
- Attend and/or train at conferences and workshops related to suicide prevention education
- Share responsibility for writing and submitting grant proposals
- Assist with planning and implementation of upcoming fundraisers
- Minimum 1 to 2 years of relevant work experience (including internships)
- Understanding mental health and related issues strongly desired
- Strong public speaking skills
- Excellent written communication skills
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, highly-organized
- A high level of computer literacy required, including familiarity with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Candidate possesses a positive attitude and can work flexibly, both independently and within teams
- Master’s Degree in social work/counseling or public health required, and/or specific training/experience in suicide prevention
This position offers competitive compensation with starting salary range at $45,000 based on experience.
The employee will report directly to the President of Elyssa’s Mission. Supplemental allowance for Health benefits provided. Please submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cover letter should address the following questions:
- Why do you want to work in suicide prevention?
- What relevant work experience makes you qualified for this position?
Contact: Joanne Meyers, President, Elyssa’s Mission (847) 697-9181 email@example.com